Sunday, January 31, 2016

Weekly Report and Reflection Post #4

Welcome back readers!

Before I talk to you about this week and what I’ve learned, I would like to share an article that came across my Feedly. Although I know previously I talked about what I love to do when I’m surfing the internet –watching cute pictures and videos of animals doing cute, adorable things. I also use my time for more important things. Many may not know but I am graduating this year and so that means I need to be looking for jobs. As I was on my Feedly earlier this week, I can across this article on Business Insider called The 29 smartest questions to ask at the end of every job interview. Like this many other articles are always coming out of what you should and shouldn’t do at an interview or what to include in your resume and etc. I find feedly helpful because it brings to me the recent updates in an organized fashion so I don’t freak out about the future. If you follow Business Insider, you can see a lot of great things from sports to jobs and much more.
google, 2016

Enough about business! Let’s talk about this week. This week I had the opportunity to learn about bookmarking. Before I even started the thing that came to my mind was the bookmarking option on our toolbars, where if you like something you can bookmark it for later. I stopped using it though because honestly it became hard when you bookmark something on your laptop and then you need access to it at school or something. But this week I got to learn about a cloud bookmarking tool called Diigo. Basically this is a tool which allows you to bookmark different sites and through different devices. Not only can you save your page, you can add notes, screenshot and highlight important information, which will stay for when you visit it next. After learning about this tool, I think I am going to use it a lot because I love saving articles to read later, or highlighting when I’m reading—this tool makes my life easier! I would definitely use this tool on my PLE.

google, 2016
With bookmarking it is important to know what information is good and what is TRASH. Of course everything online isn’t always important or useful, thus we need to screen through the valid and reliable sources. This tool is a simple checklist method that helps ensure that all information is reliable.   

Along with Diigo, I learned about content curation. First I had no clue what it is, so I did what most people would do, search it on google.  I found out that it basically means the act of sorting through large amounts of content and presenting the best posts in a meaningful and organized way. Once I understood that, I looked at some tools that were given and I think LiveBinders and Scoop.it were the two tools I would use. LiveBinders is a great tool because it creates “virtual” three ring binder where I can organize all my websites, documents, movies and images into tables and subtabs and then share my stuff as well. I think it is a cool tool in which I can do everything in one place. Scoop.it is also a great tool I believe because it creates online magazines on topics the author selects and then feeds it through social networks or blogs. When I tried these sites, they were easy to use, minimal details and a lot of good articles.   

As for this week, I think this is it! Until next time!


Nisha Nayyar 

2 comments:

  1. Nisha,

    You note "Before I even started the thing that came to my mind was the bookmarking option on our toolbars, where if you like something you can bookmark it for later. I stopped using it though because honestly it became hard when you bookmark something on your laptop and then you need access to it at school or something."

    This is a great reflection point. I think a lot of people would be in a similar situation. I think most students have experienced the frustration of losing an important link for a paper. I know I have! Thankfully the tools we looked at this week address this.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nisha,

    I had the same issue in regards to bookmarking. I wasn't able to access my bookmarks across multiple devices which is why I stopped using the tool. However, with the help of this cloud software I will definitely be using bookmarking once again!

    I found bookmarking to be very helpful when I used it in high school back when I only used one device for all my internet surfing and educational purposes.

    I found your insight on LiveBinders to be very interesting and I will definitely check out this tool in the near future.

    I enjoyed reading your post!

    Kind Regards,

    Neil

    ReplyDelete