Saturday, March 5, 2016

Weekly Report and Reflection #8

Welcome back for another great post!

While I was going through my Feedly, I found a very interesting video. Of course I know you can already guess where I was. You’re right! Business Insider. So this couple decided to quit their jobs and use their wedding money to sail around the world. I personally love travelling but could never take such a huge step. But hey each one to themselves. This is just something to motivate you to do what you want in life and never give up on your dreams. I know I won’t!

Google (2016)
This week we got the chance to learn about Wiki. Wiki is a site that has made it easier for people to communicate information. One can freely post anything on there and anyone else can edit the information and save it—simple as that. The point of this is so that important information does not get lost and everything stays in one place. From the video you could see that there are two important buttons to keep in mind: edit and save.





Personally before this week, I did encounter with Wiki before. I have used it for as long as I can remember. Of course it is not a viable source as teachers mention it and that is for good reason. The benefits as we know are great—one place with all the important information but there are costs to this. Because anyone can share their knowledge, it becomes very opinionated rather than expert information.  Not saying that it makes it all bad. Leading up to university a lot of my “quick learning” for papers and reports came from Wiki. If I needed to know about a topic, event etc I would Wiki it first to get an understanding before going into details. It provides a summary of information.


Wiki is similar to other tools we have explored like Google Docs because like Google Docs, wiki allows us to collaborate with others and work together for one goal or in this case information. But I like them both for different things. I prefer Google Docs if I was to write something or work on a group project and I would use Wiki for information and knowledge—to get ideas.  I would definitely add Wiki to my PLE because I believe it is a great learning tool for my future goals as well as present.

Other than Wiki, we also talked about the rights and responsibilities of a digital citizen. We created a diagram of what we thought are the most important rights and responsibilities. As you can see in the diagram, I have many rights but the three most important that I believe are the right to privacy, the freedom of speech and legal rights.  There are many things I learned this week; about becoming a digital citizen and rights and responsibilities you have while being online. I learned it is the same as being face-to-face with someone. If you wouldn’t do or say something when you’re in front of the person, you wouldn’t do it behind a screen.  I also learned that as a digital citizen, privacy becomes a bigger concern because it becomes harder to protect but it is very important, in fact I believe it is one of the MOST important rights.  

Nayyar (2016)
Hope you all enjoyed my blog this week!


Nisha Nayyar

No comments:

Post a Comment